Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Training While Sick

Talk about a challenge to discipline, training when you don't feel well is tough.  I am not here to argue the merits of doing it.  There are enough opinions on either side of the table here.  Here is a link to an article by Lance Watson posted on Training Peaks that I subscribe to in making my decisions.  In short, if it is above the neck, it is worth trying to go for it.  You might need to back off a bit on the intensity.   It's been my experience that the benefits outweigh the risks.  Benefits I have experienced include actually shortening the duration of the cold.  Scientifically, I have read that exercise does boost the immune system.  However, like I said, this post isn't about that.

This post is about the mental fortitude and the discipline that it takes to push through feeling less than 100% and still getting the job done.  This idea expands way beyond training for triathlon.  We all encounter this when it comes to tasks at work, chores at home, managing our relationships, etc.  I am no expert and I will probably expand on the list below, but here are some ideas that have helped me push through like I had to this morning:
  1. Sometimes, you just need to get started.  Stick one foot in front of the other and walk towards the gym, the office, the yard, wherever it is you need to go to "get after it."  Just get the first rep started or simply start the computer up with the intention that you are going to accomplish something.
  2. Develop a routine that you follow for every single workout, task, or effort.  It may simply be a process that starts the minute you wake up all the way to arriving at the gym or to your pain cave.  I'll have a future post about how to make mornings easier for training, which actually starts the night before.
  3. Take a break.  If your desire to train and meet your goals is not strong enough to overcome feeling bad, you might need a small break to "miss" your training.  Your body might be telling you something and rest might do you some good.  Remember, recovery is when you get stronger.  This is the antithesis of the point of this blog, but it is important to listen to your body.
  4. Praying for strength helps me.  Not everyone seeks the attention of a higher power, so find something that you can do that focuses you in on what you are trying to accomplish.  This might be meditation, yoga, music, or art.  Sometimes we are energized by something outside of us and avoidance behavior with a purpose to "pump" us up to take care of the work we have to do might be the key for you. 
  5. Make a deal with yourself to reach some form of milestone towards completing what is in front of you.  Much like number one above, just getting to that milestone might be enough to encourage you to keep going for one more interval, another paragraph to write, another room to clean, etc.
As I said before, I am no where perfect or qualified to tell anyone what to do.  I fail at this more than I succeed in so many aspects of my life.  This little blog post is a challenge to myself to step my game up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I will review it and be sure it is a positive contribution to the ideas or conversation. Bullying, foul, abusive, or inappropriate content will not be accepted. I will do my best to allow for a productive discussion in the comments to my thoughts. This blog is just that, my thoughts as I journey through the path God has me on. We are human, we make mistakes, and I strive to learn from all of them. Your comments are embraced as a part of that discipline. For that I am thankful for you to take the time to share your thoughts.